cahillspoi20's profile picture

cahillspoi20's profile

cahillspoi20's Reviews

cahillspoi20 hasn't written any reviews yet or they are waiting for approval.

cahillspoi20's Comments

cahillspoi20 says: (8 years ago)
I bought the Vermont Castings Montpieler fireplace wood burning stove last fall (Oct 2009). Big cost $4600.00 with the installation. Fireplace chimney is in the 48 year age bracket and in the center of the home. As cost to renovate very high opted for the insert as I have 3 other Vermont castings wood burners and they are all great stoves.

I believe there is a major problem with this insert as drafting is very very poor. The shop I bought it from is telling me I need to extend my chimney but never had a problem with it in the 33 years we have lived in this home. Up until last year I used it as an open fireplace and on the other side is a Vermont Vigilant wood burner. Also no drafting problem in that stove for the 22 years its been in that location.

Appears to me the construction of the re-burn tubes are extremely close to a light weight baffle. That baffle is only an inch or so from the 5 inch flexible flue. The baffle is suppose to be all the way to the back. In that position there is virtually no room from the top of the baffle to the opening of flue. The result is that the flames lick up and into the door. When reloading wood and door is opened room fills with smoke within 3 seconds of opening the door. Have tried opening door very very slowly but still smoke.

Had a personal friend who is a retired engineer stop by yesterday and decided to move the baffle from back to front. Stove shop tells me this should not be done. But what I found last night with my first burn of the season is the drafting or partial drafting was now taking place from the rear of the stove instead of the front.

Seems to have drafting improvement with this last night and will continue to keep in that position. Also will be pouring Ther-Mix DOWN chimney which will fill in cracks with the probability of improving drafting some more.

One final point Vermont castings was bought out by some Monseehee who PROVIDES NO INFORMATION on contacting them. Only source I have is the dealer. When I told him this last week his response was I can send an email to the firm to see if they have any concerns about the insert. Claims he has received nothing from the company. Guess in this MAKE MONEY the fast and furious way if there is a problem they will not own up to it until they are actually forced into having to admit there is a problem through a class action suit. Amazing how a great stove maker with a great reputation winds up in the hands of some outfit that care only about making money.

I believe relationship with Vermont Castings I and my family have had over the last 30 years along with the Stove Shop in Phoenxville PA has ENDED!

cahillspoi20 says: (8 years ago)

One final point Vermont castings was bought out by some Corporation who PROVIDES NO INFORMATION on contacting them. Only source I have is the dealer. When I told him this last week his response was I can send an email to the firm to see if they have any concerns about the insert. Claims he has received nothing from the company about engineering flaws or problems. Find in blogs there are indeed problems with this insert. Guess in this MAKE MONEY the fast and furious way if there is a problem they will not own up to it until they are actually forced into having to admit there is a problem through a class action suit. Amazing how a great stove maker with a great reputation winds up in the hands of some outfit that cares only about making money.

I believe our relationship with Vermont Castings I and my family have had over the last 30 years along with the Stove Shop in Phoenxville PA has ENDED!

cahillspoi20's Messages

cahillspoi20 hasn't received any messages yet.
Send a message to cahillspoi20