If you are entering the job market or thinking about ways to see what other opportunities are out there then you need to do 5 things. These 5 things are free or cost very little and are the most important things you can do to get things going. You should spend 2 hours a week on these and in no time you will see that you are starting to generate some traction.
5 free things to do to start a job search
1. Get your resume together, refresh it, make sure your contact info is up to date and revise any objectives or skills. You would be surprised how many people have an outdated resume.
2. Get your resume posted on as many job boards as you can. This is free and it not only allows you to search for opportunities by city or industry but recruiters can find your resume when they search for people. You can type “job boards” into Google to get the names.
3. Open a LinkedIn account on www.Linkedin.com This site is amazing and by searching for past colleagues and coworkers you will in no time build a network that will help you find new opportunities and get you references. Go on to the site and play around with it and you will see the power of it.
4. Ask your friends and family for help and to tell you if they hear of anything. Sometimes people just need to be asked for their help and do not want to be presumptious by offering.
5. Find the best trade magazine in your industry and start reading is regulalry. Not only will you be up to date on new industry news and language but you will see who is growing, merging and hiring. Best of all you will sound up to date in an interview.
If you do these 5 things you will see that in no time you will start to get traction in your search and the momentum will open up new opportunities.